Monday, January 12, 2009

A Family Affair

I meant to post this yesterday, but didn't get to it.

We prayed on Christmas with Jeanah's side of the family and Yesterday with my side of the family. Both were great get-togethers, and we need to do it more often under happier circumstances!

Some of the prayer requests we brought to the table yesterday were:

1) The Chemo/Radiation regimen will shrink the tumor significantly or completely.

2) Victor will tolerate the Chemo/Radiation with few or no side effects.

3) Victor, Jeanah, and the Doctors will have clarity and wisdom in making difficult decisions.

4) We will get confirmation after Chemo/Radiation that the tumor has not spread, but is local and removeable.

5) Jeanah will have strength and energy to do the things she needs to do to simplify our home life.

6) The Canby house will sell quickly and for a satisfactory price and we will be able to find a place to land safely.

7) Victor will be able to work well from home (or even at the office) with minimal physical or technical glitches.

Love ya'll!

Hurry up and Wait! (A one week reprieve)

Patience is a virtue, and I'm learning lots of it!

Today we changed plans slightly. I was supposed to start Chemo today, but prior to that (and it's a good thing) I went in to get "mapped" for Radiation and the Radiation Oncologist decided that because of several factors including my size and the location of the tumor, he wants to change the method of administering the radiation.

He's going to setup a deliverance method (I forget the initials of it) where the radiation is applied from 4-5 different angles and shapes so that it doesn't all focus on the same external place and so that the internal end of the beam is better focused on the tumor. This will give a better chance of having less of the "sunburn" as a side effect. Sounds good to me.

However, this takes 4-5 days to setup the Radiation Machine to do and so Radiation won't start until Monday, 1/19. For this reason, it was decided also to start the Chemo that day because they want them to coincide as much as possible.

Tomorrow, 2pm: I meet with Dr. Crocenzi, another Medical Oncologist, mainly to get a 2nd opinion and to get other ideas if Dr. Chang did not explore them. I suppose I may also choose to move my care to Dr. Crocenzi if I feel more comfortable there. We shall see...

Wednesday, 2:30pm: I am having an MRI at Epic Imaging. In the PET/CT earlier there is some haziness around my lumbar area and they think it is due to minor arthritis types of flare up, but they just want to make absolutely certain.

Friday, January 9, 2009

Sunburn where the sun don't shine

Today we talked to the Radiation Oncologist, Dr. Eric K. Hansen of Oregon Cancer Specialists at St. Vincent.

I'll be seeing a lot of Dr. Hansen over the next 6 weeks and he'll, well, be seeing more of me than anybody should.

He had the most positive thing to say that any Doctor has said since we found out about the cancer. He said that we have actually caught this thing pretty early in its development and that he thinks there's about a 90% chance of shrinking it, removing it, and not having it bother us again. Them's pretty good odds...maybe we should go to Vegas, Baby!?

Although I'll start Chemo on Monday, and get "mapped" for Radiation on Monday, the actual Radiation regimen won't start until Thursday. He says about 2 weeks into the process, I'll start being very tender in some very tender spots and it will be like having a bad sunburn where the sun don't usually shine...or maybe slightly worse.

While that doesn't sound too fun, I say we fry that little bugger and get on with the next phase...

Have a great weekend!

Victor

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Homework

Several of you have asked if I plan to work during my Chemo/Radiation treatment. The answer is Yes, I do plan to work. ISI has been very gracious and is working to help me setup a work station at home just in case I am unable to come into the office for one reason or another.

In the estimation of my oncologist, I should be able to do my job. I'm thankful at this point I don't have a very physically demanding job.

Jeanah also continues to look for work as we are uncertain at this point what the future holds and we are in "keep the options open" mode. She is the best receptionist in the world if you know of a company she would be needed. She has myriad other skills as well including a love of home design.

Trusting God day by day.

I'd say my energy level today is about 8/10 which is as good as it has been in a month. I'll continue to evaluate that as we go forward...

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Know Thine Enemy

We know a bunch more now, but we don't know as much as we wish.

We got positive confirmation from the pathologist that we are dealing with adenocarcinoma which is the most common type of rectal cancer and is what the oncologist expected from the visual exams in the first place.

In a way, it's nice to know what we're dealing with, but it's a bummer (pun intended) to know that it is indeed cancer and the "worser" kind, not the "better" kind.

The plan doesn't change. I am to start Chemo on Monday 1/12 and it will continue approximately 6 weeks. This will be coupled with radiation therapy. After the six weeks we will have another PET/CT to determine what the Chemo and Radiation have done to the tumor.

Also, in the most recent PET/CT there is a possibility of "hot spots" of other cancer around the tumor outside the rectal walls, but the oncologist said these are very small and it is his opinion that these may not be cancerous and may be from the C Diff infection inflammation. In any case, it does not effect the treatment plan at this time.

We will treat for 6 weeks with Chemo and Radiation like has been planned and reevaluate at that time to see what the next step is.

Please pray that:

1) ...the Chemo and Radiation will shrink the tumor.
2) ...the tumor is "local" and that the several "hot spots" are not actually cancerous.
3) ...I will tolerate the radiation and chemo well and still be able to work and function with some semblance of normalcy.

God Bless!

Victor

Hoping for a Plan

Yesterday's Iron Infusion is done, but it took much longer than expected due to my Port-A-Cath not working necessarily as expected. Please pray that the Port-A-Cath will work better in the future so they don't need to surgically reposition it! (It seemed to accept an IV just fine, but they couldn't draw blood through it very well).

Today, at 2:20 we have an appointment with Dr. Chang to discuss "the plan" and hopefully will go over the pathology, the PET/CT from last week, and hopefully will know more about what's going to happen from here.

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Next Week's Game Plan

I got a call from my "2nd opinion" oncologist after he got the results of the pathology. He said the report was inconclusive. This is not necessarily "good news" but it does mean that it is not confirmed cancer and not confirmed the worst type of cancer for that location. We'll just have to wait to see.

I go to my primary oncologist, Dr. Chang, on Monday for a blood iron infusion because I was anemic in the hospital.

Tuesday, I go back for an appointment with Dr. Chang to go over the pathology and to lay out a game plan for Chemotherapy.

Friday, I go to Dr. Hansen, the Radiation Oncologist to see what radiation and other studies I am a good candidate for.

We are still anxious about that pathology report. Keep prayin' that it will come back with good news!

Last Friday 1/2/09, I had a PET/CT scan. Basically, they inject you with a irradiated sugar compound which cancer cells love to absorb and then an hour later they torture you by making you hold your hands above your head for a long time. The longer your torso, the longer you have to remain in that position. Lucky for me my torso "goes forever" in Jeanah's words.

We should know more about the PET scan on Tuesday as well.

God Bless!

Victor